WELCOME TO MJHS

mjhs
Marshall Junior High School
Marshall, TX 75670
903-927-8830
903-927-8837 (fax)
Welcome to Marshall Junior High School! We are so excited to begin the 2017-2018 school year in our new facility! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"
STAAR Report Card
Campus Improvement Plan
Attendance Requirements
Student Handbook
Online Textbook Info
Student Code of Conduct
District Academic Calendar
Online Lunch Payments
Family Access Portal

 

MJHS MENUS

PARENTS: You may now manage your student's lunch payment account online! Click here for more details.

The mission of the Marshall Independent School District Child Nutrition Department is to ensure that every child in the district has access to a healthy, nutritious breakfast and lunch. MISD strives to provide meals that will appeal to the taste as well as the health of our students. It is our goal, every day, to never have a MISD student leave our schools hungry. All of our meals meet nutritional guidelines as set forth by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

*NOTE: Weekly campus menus are posted here in this space during the school year.


WE ARE MJHS

blackMr. Jason Black is in his second year as Principal of Marshall Junior High and is the first Principal to serve MJHS students in our new Legacy 2017 facility. Mr. Black previously served in MISD as an administrator, coach and teacher, including being Assistant Principal at William B. Travis Elementary from 2012-2014. He originally joined the Maverick Family as a coach and teacher at Marshall High School. He left the district in 2014 to become Principal at Jefferson Junior High from 2014-2016 before returning to Marshall as MJHS Principal. Mr. Black earned a Bachelor of Science in Health and Education from Louisiana Tech University, where he was also a football letterman for the Bulldogs. He also served in the United States Marine Corps from 2000-2006, where he served multiple deployments as a Team Leader in Iraq. Mr. Black earned his Masters in Education Administration from Texas A&M-Texarkana and also earned a Superintendent Certification in May of 2014 from Texas A&M-Texarkana.

PembertonH.B. PEMBERTON LEARNING CENTER
The comprehensive, modern library located in the new Marshall Junior High is named in honor of Mr. H.B. Pemberton, who came from modest beginnings as the son of former slaves to be one of the most influential and iconic educators in the history of Marshall schools. Born January 20, 1867, he was the oldest son of Charles and Eliza Pemberton. His parents settled in Marshall in 1876 when he was nine years old. Pemberton received a degree from Wiley College in 1888 and was the first to graduate "magna cum laude." He taught as a professor at Wiley until 1894, when he approached Superintendent C.F. Adams to request the establishment of an organized school system for Negro children. Adams offered Pemberton the principalship of one of the schools, and Pemberton asked for a school building separate from church connections. But there were no public funds, so he then bought a dilapidated church building on the present site of the Travis Terrace Building with money borrowed on his own personal note. The note was soon paid with the support of citizens, the land was deeded to the city, and a two-story, four-room brick building was erected in 1895 and named Central School. The Central faculty included two men and two women and served grades 1-7. Pemberton again petitioned the school board and four more rooms and and an auditorium were added to the campus for a high school in 1916. Pemberton then became the principal and only teacher of Central High. Eleven grades were taught and enrollment grew to 1,000. In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School became known as Hillside School. The high school enjoyed a good reputation, and around 1940 was given the highest rating accorded black high schools. It was listed as one of the top six or eight in the state, putting it on par with those in Dallas and Houston. In 1941, the school board unanimously approved a petition with over 5,000 signatures to change the new school's name to H.B. Pemberton High School, in honor of the man who stepped out and created the beginnings of public education in Marshall for Negro children. Pemberton died on April 27, 1944, and was succeeded by G.A. Rosborough, who served until his retirement in 1972. When Marshall schools integrated in 1971, Pemberton High School began serving ninth grade students only in 1972, following integration of the school district in 1971. When the 1986 bond election provided funds for a new wing at Marshall High School on Maverick Drive, Pemberton High School ceased operation as a public school in the spring of 1988 and was sold to Wiley College. It now serves as the Pemberton Heritage Center and is still located at its original location on Rosborough Springs Road.

MJHS: building a legacy

mjhsMARSHALL JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

The new Marshall Junior High School opened in August of 2017 to serve students in grades 6-8. The project was part of the Legacy 2017 building program born out of the passage of a $109,200,000.00 bond issue approved by MISD voters in May 2015. Huckabee, Inc., served as the architect for the Legacy 2017 building program, with RLM General Contractors of Longview serving as the general contractor for Marshall Junior High. Project Manager for the Legacy 2017 building program was Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN), of Houston, Texas. The new school was constructed on a new site located near the corner of the intersection of Texas Highway 31 and East Travis Street in Marshall.

Since 1981, Marshall Junior High had been located on West Houston Street in the building formerly known as Marshall High School. Originally constructed in 1924, the building had served Marshall students in grades 7-8 since the construction of the "new" Marshall High School on Maverick Drive, which opened in 1980. The new, 186,000-square foot, state-of-the-art junior high school features a two-story academic wing; a fine arts hall to serve students in band, choir, theatre and art; administrative offices; a full service kitchen with food preparation and staging for hot foods; cafetorium; double gymnasium; an athletic wing and locker rooms which are designated as storm shelters; athletic practice field with equipment storage; parking areas in both the front and back of the facility; and support drives for parent pickup and buses.

From 1929-1964, junior high students in Marshall remained at the high school facility located on West Houston Street. A new Marshall Junior High School was built following a bond issue in 1964 on East Border Street (now East Travis) to house the seventh and eighth grade students. Following enactment of a desegregation plan in the summer of 1970, the two grades in the junior high school were divided. Pemberton Junior High School (later to be called Price T. Young Junior High School), located on Sanford Street, became the home of the seventh grade. Marshall Junior High School continued to house the eighth grade. This division of grades continued until the school year of 1981-82, when seventh and eighth grade students were reunited and moved, as the Marshall Junior High School, to the West Houston facility formerly known as Marshall High School. This building, vacated by the high school in May of 1980, had undergone extensive renovation from the spring of 1980 to the fall of 1981 in preparation to house all seventh and eighth grade students. At that time, the facilities at the eighth-grade campus on East Travis Street were renamed Sam Houston Middle School, and at Price T. Young Middle School, to house MISD's fifth and sixth grade students.

SAM HOUSTON SCHOOL

The original Sam Houston Middle School opened in September 1964 on East Border Street (now East Travis) to serve students in grades 7-8 and was originally named Marshall Junior High School. The facility was constructed out of funds made available in a bond election in 1962. When MISD reorganized in 1981 under court order, the eighth-grade campus became one of two new middle schools for fifth- and sixth-graders. The old Sam Houston Elementary School closed that year, and the newly organized middle school assumed the name. From 1981-2017, Sam Houston Middle School served students in grades 5-6  along with the district's other middle school, Price T. Young. As part of the Legacy 2017 building program, Sam Houston Middle School was renovated to serve as the district's K-5 STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) facility.

PRICE T. YOUNG SCHOOL

Price T. Young Middle School, first known as Pemberton Junior High School and then Price T. Young Junior High School, was originally built to house seventh and eighth-grade students that formerly attended Pemberton High School. The school board purchased the land from citizens at Sanford and Emory streets and dedicated the school in September 1964. Pemberton Junior High was made into an all-seventh-grade school while Marshall Junior High (Sam Houston) was made into an eighth-grade school. When MISD was reorganized in 1981 and the seventh grade transferred to Marshall Junior High School on West Houston Street, Price T. Young became one of two middle schools for grades 5-6. As part  of the Legacy 2017 building program, Price T. Young Middle School was chosen as the site for a new K-5 elementary school, with the old building scheduled to be demolished upon completion of the new school.


legacy
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.